Thursday, September 20, 2012

What did you say?



So I took my little guy to the Audiologist to get his hearing checked.  We didn't really suspect hearing loss, but when your baby isn't babbling, they usually rule it out.

Well, my baby that doesn't babble started babbling up a storm the minute we got into the office.  He was loud and making all kinds of sounds (ga, ba, da).  He was babbling so much that the woman behind the desk actually peeked her head around the corner and asked why I wanted him evaluated.  I said, "It's because he doesn't babble.  Can't you tell?"  (as he continued to babble away).  

About a month ago, all he was saying was Aahh.  In no time at all though, he has really found his voice.  He seems to be babbling more each day.  This of course is music to my ears.  We are still continuing speech therapy for the time being.  I want him to continue to progress until he is talking age appropriately before we stop.  Maybe the speech therapy was just the little push he needed to be encouraged to talk.

By the way, he passed his hearing test with flying colors!

We often assume that our children will do things in their own time.  But, after you've had a child diagnosed with autism, you tend to watch each child's development like a hawk.  Hopefully he will continue to develop his communication skills, and by the time we visit the developmental pediatrician again, my boy will be meeting his milestones.  
But, in this moment, I am just thankful that he is starting to learn to communicate with us vocally.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!