Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Great Escape






We have been at the beach this past week.  Although the trip has been wonderful and the beach is one of my favorite places in the world, there are some things that make traveling with a child with autism difficult. 

One morning, early in the week, we were in the family room of the beach house.  I was changing my son's diaper, my husband was straightening up the kitchen, and our daughter was playing on her Ipad.  I looked up to put some "eyes on my daughter".  I do this very frequently each day to ensure that I know where she is at all times.  But this time, when I was finished changing my son's diaper, I looked up, and she was no where to be seen.  

My husband and I started to look for her on each floor of the house, but we couldn't find her anywhere.  Since the majority of the time she doesn't answer when we call, we couldn't just say her name and wait for her to respond.  When I finally reached the ground floor, I saw that the back door by the pool was open.  She must have unlocked it and gone out by herself.  My heart stopped.  I ran out and looked in the pool area, but she wasn't there.  I then saw that the side gate was open.  I ran out into the yard, and after looking  out towards the beach and then frantically calling her name (even though I knew she wouldn't answer) I saw her walking toward the driveway at the front of the house.  

When you have a child that is quick, quiet, and has autism, it is extremely difficult to vacation.  She just doesn't understand that it is unsafe to unlock the door and leave the house.  At home we have special locks, but when we are elsewhere, we have to be extra vigilant.  

For those who think that we were probably just not paying attention, you are incorrect.  She was there and then she was gone within thirty seconds or less.  Since she is very quiet and makes very little noise when she moves, nothing made us even think that she would be attempting to leave.  I try to be extra aware of her at all times.  Even though we do our best to stay on top of things twenty-four seven, sometimes things just happen.  I thank the Lord that we were able to find her quickly.  And yes, we did end up driving thirty miles and visiting multiple stores to find childproof door locks for the beach house.

 We continue to have sleeping issues.  My daughter woke up at four o'clock in the morning while we were on vacation and of course she didn't go back to sleep until that night. No naps were taken, even though I tried.  Since we were not at home, and I felt that she would leave her room, and possibly the house since we had not gotten the door locks yet,  I had to get up with her for the day. I just knew that after she had been swimming in the pool practically all day, that she would sleep at least through the night if not late the next morning.  I should never assume that she will act like I expect her to.  She so rarely does.   

On a side note, the weighted blanket and her sleep medicine made no difference in her sleeping while on our trip.  We will see if the blanket works better when we get home before we totally rule it out

I pray that one day our vacations can be more relaxing.  Until then, we will still continue to take vacations just like any other family.  Though we have to make some extra provisions, such as getting an extra room so she will be able to sleep by herself (we tried sharing a room with her a few years ago, and my husband and I ended up on air mattresses in the living room), and making sure that one of us has our eyes on her at all times, it is still worthwhile to go on trips as a family.  I want her and my son to have the best  and most "normal"  childhood we can give them.  Even if that means that my husband and I need another vacation to recover from our vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!