Thursday, September 13, 2012

Uncharted Territory





 I feel like I am entering into uncharted territory.  With all of my daughter's therapies, I have always felt that our life has been fairly busy.  But I am  afraid that until now, we "ain't seen nothing yet".  

I am not ashamed to admit that I am a homebody.  I have always said that if  I could stay within the four walls of my home  for days at a time, I would be perfectly happy. Once again, God has shown me that he has other plans for my life.  I have definitely had to adapt to the fact that His plan is turning out to be very different that mine.

Our new schedule, or to be more exact, my daughter's new schedule, is crazy!  This has been the first week of five mornings of preschool. We have also started dance therapy and we continue horse therapy.  ABA each day and private Speech Therapy once a week continue as well.  In the next few weeks, we will add a social skills group at preschool and additional Speech Therapy within the school system.  

Every day is filled with my chauffeuring her to and from her numerous activities.  Thank goodness that I have a "Mom's" calender that I can keep up with everything.  It has a daily column for each family member.  I start each morning looking to see what that day's activities are.  My mother has already bought me one for next year that I plan to start filling up as soon as I get it this weekend.  If I didn't have this calendar, I could never keep up with all of the things that our family has scheduled.

Prior to this week, I had some anxiety over whether we were scheduling too many things for my daughter.  So far though, she seems to love everything she is doing.  She has had less tantrums and fewer potty accidents this week. Being busy seems to suit her.   She is definitely more like my husband in this regard.  He always has to be doing something.  Whether he is fiddling in the garage, or taking care of the yard, he always has to fill any downtime with things to keep him busy.  The only time he sits down is in the evening after the kids have gone to bed.  I, on the other hand, am not like this.  If I get a chance to rest, I take full advantage of it.  One of the best gifts that I have ever gotten was a nap for my birthday.  My husband took the kids out of the house and I was able to nap for three glorious hours.  It was wonderful.  My husband swears by ten minute power naps.  These do nothing but make me more tired. 

I feel very blessed that my daughter is adapting to her new schedule so well.  Lots of kids with autism have major issues with transitions.  She has taken it all in stride this week.  

Who knows?  This may be the calm before the storm.  Next week may be horrible.  When all heck breaks loose, like I am sure it eventually will,  I will have plenty of time to worry about it then.  But for now, I am just going to appreciate the fact that everyone seems happy and content for the moment. 

1 comment:

  1. Missy, you are an inspiration! I read all your posts and they were all wonderful, thought provoking, and many tugged at my heart strings. I have been wondering if I was going to see you back at work anytime soon, but it seems as though you have a very busy life at the moment. I have no idea what it's like to be a mom of a child with autism, but it sounds like you are doing an amazing job and giving your daughter the best opportunities anyone could give their child.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!