Thursday, September 27, 2012

Method to my madness.







This week has been insanely busy.  On top of my daughter's many therapies and activities, I have decided to join some advisory councils.  Yes, I said councils, plural.  You think that I am crazy, right?  There is a method to my madness.  I don't think that I'm crazy,   I'm just really invested in my kids.  

I have joined the interagency coordinating council in our county.  It has representatives from Child Find, Early Intervention, DSS, Smart Start, the Arc, etc.  I think that this will be a perfect place for me to be able to network with the people who have the power to make decisions that affect my children.  Since I have a child in Child Find and another in Early Intervention, it's kind of like they get a two for one deal by having me as a parent representative on the council.  

I have also joined the Advisory council for the special needs preschool in our area.  My daughter does not attend this particular school, but her resource teacher is based there.  They wanted someone who could speak to the needs of the children who are being resourced.  My reason for joining this council is so that I can gain as much information as possible over the next school year.  When the time comes for me to make decisions regarding my daughter's elementary school placement and benefits, I hope to be as knowledgeable as possible.  I also figure that it won't hurt to try to get on the good side of those who will be in those decision making meetings.  

Hopefully I am not spreading myself too thin.  I do have someone to help out with the kids during these meetings, so I don't have to drag them along kicking and screaming. I don't really think that I am crazy for having a schedule as jam packed as mine.  I am just looking for every opportunity I can to help my daughter (and eventually, my son) be able to succeed in the school system.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!