Friday, September 14, 2012

Little Miss Independant






So last week my husband asked me, "How are you going to keep that blog thing going?  Won't you eventually stop having anything to write about?"  I told him that with our kids, I would always have something random happening that I could put in my blog.  Well this week, my little lady did not disappoint.

So, my daughter was in the den on her Ipad.  This is not unusual for her as it is one of her favorite things to do.  I was in the study doing something on the computer.  After a few minutes, my daughter came into the study and started grabbing at my arm.  This, however, was very unusual.  My little electronic genius is  normally so engulfed in her Ipad that she doesn't bother me for a while.  I take those opportunities to get my mommy stuff done.  You know, cleaning up the room for the millionth time each day, working on the computer, etc.  Besides, she normally just says what she wants from wherever she is sitting.  Not to often does she physically get up and come get me for something.

As I started to ask her what she needs, I turned away from the computer and I immediately smelled smoke.  I ran into the den and I saw that the entire kitchen was full of smoke.  My first thought was not that I had to get everyone out of the house and to safety, it was that I had to put out whatever is on fire and get the smoke out of here before it sets off the fire alarm and wakes up my son.  Not the most rational thing to have thought, I realize now, but after having waited all afternoon for him to finally take a nap, I can tell you that I feel validated in having had those thoughts. 

When I got into the kitchen, I saw that a chair had been pulled up to the counter, and the microwave door was open with a very crispy black eggo inside.  The only reason that I knew it was an eggo was because the opened box was still on the counter and the freezer door was still open.  I don't know whether the eggo had actually been on fire, or it had just been smoking, but I do know that every time I turn on the microwave now, it makes my kitchen smell like smoke again.  

When I told the therapists what had happened, they asked me what I said to her.  To be honest, I was so shocked that I probably didn't say much of anything.  After I finally regained my composure, I told her that she needs to get mommy when she wants to use the microwave.  I do wonder if she understands the danger though.  Who knows if she will come and get me next time?  My husband asked if we should just teach her which buttons to push on the microwave so she knows how to use it properly.  I think that she could more that likely learn how to work the microwave, but something just doesn't feel right about teaching a four year old how to use a cooking appliance.  For now, we are putting that one on hold.

You never know what is going to happen in my house day to day.  My daughter had never tried to use the microwave before, so I had no reason to think that she would that day.  It just proves the point that you can't trust a four year old who is quick and quiet.  Now I realize that I need to keep my eyes on her at all times (if that is possible when you have more than one kid).  I will try to do my best.  But just to be safe, I have made sure that we know where the fire extinguisher is in case she ever tries to imitate Julia Child again.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!