Friday, August 31, 2012

In the beginning






When my daughter was first diagnosed with autism, I was devastated.  It took me about a month or so before I could even look at any books or websites on the subject.  I guess that I was in a state of denial.  In my mind, if I didn't acknowledge the fact that my daughter had been diagnosed with autism, it couldn't have happened.  After four or five weeks of having a major pity party and crying every day, I pulled myself up off the couch, dug in my heels and started researching. 

 I knew that we needed to start Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) Therapy and Speech Therapy as soon as possible.  ABA can be done in various settings.  We interviewed providers that would provide the therapy in a 8x8 room.  I just couldn't imagine sending my two year old to have therapy for three hours or more each day in a tiny little room.  I also interviewed some providers that were very clinical in the way they approached autism.  I wanted someone that actually thought of my daughter as a child who happened to have autism, not just an autistic child.  

When we did decide on our current ABA provider it was mainly due to the fact that the CEO of the company, Autism Learning Center, had a child with autism and could understand what we were going through.  He seemed to genuinely care about the success of the children in the program.  His kindness and sincerity played a huge role in our choice to go with his company.

The ABA program that my daughter is in focuses on doing therapy in the natural setting.  They come to the house or go with her to preschool five days a week for three hours each day.  They help work on whatever issues that we encounter in our daily lives.  Therapists have gone with us to get haircuts, to the grocery store, and to restaurants.  They help me to understand and implement techniques that speak to my daughter's specific issues.  When she has trouble waiting, they add waiting to the therapy goals.  I am continually amazed at the depth of the therapy treatment.  All of the therapists, the program coordinator and myself meet monthly at the "team meeting" to discuss what we are all seeing in the different settings and then we modify her treatment plan. 

As someone who was mortified at the thought of people coming in and out of my house five days a week,  I am finally adjusting to the ever present revolving door.  I have always been a pretty private person.  I always considered my house as my personal space.  I am kind of a homebody, so the thought of people being in my home every single day really bothered me.  For the first year or so, I would get up, shower and be dressed with my makeup on and my hair fixed by the time the therapists arrived.  That all changed when I was on bed rest with my son.  I couldn't get up and shower each morning due to the risk of having contractions.  I had to remind myself of the fact that these people are here to work with my daughter, not me.  They could care less what I look like each day, so why should I worry about my appearance. 
 Now, the therapists are lucky if I have brushed my teeth and hair by the time that they arrive in the mornings. 

 Priorities change.  My life continually has to adjust to this new path that it has taken.  As long as the kids are dressed and taken care of, I have done my job.  I do eventually get around to putting myself together.  I just don't have to be perfectly made up before people arrive to my house every day.   Hopefully I will one day have it all together again.  In the meantime, I will just keep plugging along in all of my unkempt glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!