Tuesday, May 28, 2013

To Be or Not To Be?






Lately, I have been feeling a push towards a new career path.  Through my daughter's IEP process, and by helping a friend through her daughter's complex IEP, it has been suggested to me (multiple times) that I become an Advocate for Children with Special Needs within the school system.  

When I was first approached with the idea of becoming an Advocate, I initially waved off the idea.  As I told one of the people pushing me to go in the direction of Advocacy, "I don't have enough letters behind my name to have that job.".  That was met with the response that you don't necessarily need letters behind your name, you just need to have the knowledge base.  

Over the past two years I have been a stay at home mom.  I have made it my job to become as well educated as I possibly could be on Special Education law and policy.  I have joined committees, I have done numerous hours of research, and I have spoken to as many knowledgeable people as I could.  I am sure that I have an enormous amount of information still to learn.  The laws and policies  change very frequently.  If I do choose to go down this career path, I would have to constantly stay up to date on the ever changing Special Education laws.  (I would more than likely be staying up to date anyway, with two children who have special needs)

The role of an advocate is nothing to take lightly.  It is a huge responsibility to be the one who is responsible for ensuring that a child with special needs gets the Free and Appropriate Education (FAPE) that he/she is entitled to by law.  This sounds like it should be an easy task, but in education there are many gray areas.  Lots of times it is up to the person running the IEP meetings (usually the Vice Principal) to determine placement and accommodations for these children.  With the ever changing law and complexity of each individual child's needs, the person running the meetings is not always up to date with the current policies.  That is where I would come into the picture as an Advocate.  

I have a background as not only and Pediatric ICU and Neonatal ICU nurse, but also as a Legal Nurse Consultant.  I enjoy reading and understanding the law, and I am not intimidated by sitting in an IEP meeting where the school has many professionals in attendance, and I may be the only person there on the behalf of the child and his/her parents.  Maybe my past experience has prepared me for a career as an Advocate.

I have not yet decided whether I am going to go down this path, but after so many not so subtle pushes from outside forces, I am prayerfully considering doing so.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing the paths our lives take that we could never see coming? I would never have imagined that I would be leading a support group, but through infertility, I have felt called to do so. It seems you are being called to be an advocate. You would be able to bring so many perspectives to this job that others could not. From reading your blog, I have admired the advocate you are for your children. I think it would be amazing for you to be able to do this for other children as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Be! Missy, you are a wealth of information on the subject and can be of help to so many families.
    There are:
    1) The families who are completely intimidated by the process and the legalese
    2) The families who do not know that questions should be asked and concerns raised
    3) The families for whom English is not their first language
    4) The families whose work schedules (and that includes stay-at-home Moms) prevent them from doing the extensive research
    There are SO many reasons to take this on if you feel passionate and fulfilled by the work. You have been an amazing advocate for your kids and have been invaluable to our IEP process. We are so blessed to have you as a friend and as part of our team!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!