Friday, October 5, 2012

From the heart.







When I got to my daughter's preschool yesterday, the assistant teacher met me at the door and said, "Your daughter made me cry today".  I immediately thought, "Oh Lord, what has she done now?".  The teacher, Miss Jennifer,  has gotten another position at a county run preschool and is going to be finishing out this week and then leaving this preschool.  She started tearing up again as she told me what had happened.  Evidently, my daughter had gotten dirt in her eye on the playground and was whimpering.  The teacher pulled her up onto her lap and was trying to convince my little girl to let her see her eye.  My daughter said, "No"  quite emphatically multiple times.  When she couldn't think of how she could convince my daughter to let her see her eye,  the teacher told her, "Miss Jennifer is leaving next week and we won't get to see each other anymore.  Can I please see your eye?"   My daughter immediately stopped crying, looked up at Miss Jennifer, and said, "Don't go Jennifer".  Jennifer said that she couldn't help but start to cry.  If any of the other kids had said this to her she probably wouldn't have gotten so emotional.  But that fact that my daughter, who rarely speaks, actually looked her in the eye and said this to her really touched her.  I was touched when Miss Jennifer told me too.  I hate that Miss Jennifer is leaving, but I am thankful that she was able to make a connection with my daughter. 

My daughter never ceases to amaze me.  She doesn't say much, but what she does say is full of meaning and comes straight from her heart.  Sometimes we question whether she is understanding what is being said to her.  This shows me that she understands more than we give her credit for.  Maybe if we just slow down and listen more, we will get a clearer view into her little world.


1 comment:

  1. I found your site of off the Autism NOW Center page on facebook as I was trying to share my own. I LOVE your post because I go through similar scenarios and yours touched my heart. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to reading more.

    www.wheredidthebirdgo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!